Jonathan has been training in the martial arts since 1991. In this time he has reached the level of 5th degree black belt (Dan) in Kaizen Ryu Freestyle Karate. In 2012, in recognition of continual teaching efforts, Jonathan was promoted to the rank of Renshi (Expert-Teacher).
Jonathan has also achieved 1st Dan ranks in Ryu Kyu Kobudo Kai, and in Doce Pares Arnis, Eskrima & Kali.
At present, Jonathan also trains in Gracie Humaita Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, in which he has received instruction from Royler Gracie
Seeking to further his knowledge and broaden his experience, Jonathan has also trained in the following martial art styles –
- Muay Thai at the Phuket Muay Thai Camp in Thailand
- Kung Fu at the Bu Bi Zhen International Kung Fu School on the banks of the Li River in Yangshuo China
- Aikido at the Aikikai Hombu Tokyo Japan under the instructions of Doshu Ueshiba
- Goju-Ryu Karate at the Doushikan Hombu in Kyoto Japan under the instruction of Bokuhara Gen Sensei (8th Dan JKF) and Bokuhara Michiyo (5th Dan JKF)
- Kendo in Kyoto Japan, with Shibagaki Haruo Sensei 7th Dan K.S.K
Jonathan competes and referees at ISKA tournaments where he holds the position of Head Referee and Arbitrator, and was presented with the award for Referee of the year in 2006.
In 2009 Jonathan was inducted into the Martial Arts Hall of Fame as the Martial Arts Instructor of the Year.
In July 2019 Jonathan acted as the Head Coach for the Australian Team to the US Open World Martial Arts Championships the largest Martial Arts tournament held annually. At this event Jonathan and his team of 30 athletes were so successful that every team member returned home with at least a first place from one of their events, with no one placing lower then 5th in any event.
Jonathan is an accredited instructor with both the Martial Arts Industry Association and the NSW Department of Sport and Recreation and holds a Martial Arts prohibited weapons permit from the NSW Police Commissioner.
Jonathan is passionate about teaching the martial arts. It is his pleasure to pass on what he has learned to anyone who is willing.